Shabby

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Scary kind of windy

Phew! It was a rather scary walk home. I am still shaking a little from the effect of the strong winds. I was sort of bracing myself at each crossing when I saw effect of the wind on the people in front but when I crossed Exhibition Street just now, the strength of the wind shocked me. I could really feel being blown away and I almost wanted to cling to a post in the middle of the road. I saw the person coming in the opposite direction struggling to walk straight and I guessed that was probably how I looked too. Luckily I was carrying some groceries which probably added a couple of kgs to my weight.

Just read the news that "gusts of up to 100 km/h were being recorded in and around Melbourne". Yes, I think I forgot to indicate in my earlier post that wind gusts are about 93kph. Yikes! Look at how that compares to Katrina slowing down.

Living here really does make you read weather forecasts a lot more. And now I know there is a difference in just wind speeds and wind gusts. In Singapore, it is just sunny or rainy. Nothing really extreme at all. Now I see that tomorrow is forecasted to be "heavy t-storm; very windy", and wind gusts are up to 117kph!!! Arrgh! I don't think I will go home on my own...have to wait for Darlink. :S It would be better if I don't have to go out at all!

No comments: