Just tried out a new recipe I saw in the Sunday newspaper magazine. These looked really yummy and they are too when you eat them warm from the oven! :D The sides of the pastry didn't stay up like they were supposed to though. I think it was because my cutter was smaller than 8cm.
* 1/4 cup almond meal
* 1 tablespoon plain flour
* 30g unsalted butter, melted
* 1/2 cup caster sugar
* 15 strawberries, hulled and halved
* 2 x 200g sheets ready-prepared shortcrust pastry, thawed
* unsalted butter, melted for brushing
* caster sugar, extra for sprinkling (optional)
Method - makes 10:
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Place the almond meal, flour, butter and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a bowl and mix to combine.
2. Place the strawberries and remaining sugar in a bowl and toss to coat.
3. Use an 8cm cookie cutter to cut out 5 rounds from each of the pastry sheets.
4. Spread the pastry rounds with 1 teaspoon of the almond meal mixture and leaving a 2 cm border, top with three strawberry halves.
5. Fold up the sides to partially enclose the strawberries. Brush the pastry with butter and sprinkle with the extra sugar.
6. Place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.